[VMMaker] sqMemoryAccess.h: No such file or directory

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Wed Sep 13 17:09:31 UTC 2006

Hi Tim,

on Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:48:40 +0200, you wrote:
> On 13-Sep-06, at 5:17 AM, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 12:11:27 +0200, Mathieu wrote:
>>> I use the VMMaker 3.8b6 and the win32-3.7.1 source.
>>
>> Ah, such a combination is also interesting for me, so I wait (in the
>> same queue) what comes out :)
>
> Um, guys, just think about this for a moment or two. Why would you
> expect a tool - in this case VMMaker3.8xx - to work with data clearly
> tagged - in this case win32-3.7.1 - as a different level?

Please (no offense intended), what is meant by tagged, how can users like
Mathieu or me find out the relation. Tried

- http://www.google.com/search?q=squeak+vmmaker+tagged

to no avail. The 2nd URL you posted below says "hopefully final VMMaker
relase for building VMs to suit 3.8 and 3.9 images" and the 3.7 word and
the win32 word does not appear on that page.

I don't know about others but when I see win32 is "only" 3.7-x it is
automatically associated with old, outdated, "we have excluded you windoze
users from the good stuff" (no offense intended, just feedback). BTW I
just saw the question that Mathieu posted 10 minutes ago...

> Surely you wuldn't buy 'FooBar pro for OS/X' and expect to run it on Mac
> OS 6 ?
>
> Take a look at http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/package/
> 2e7f103e-22a6-470d-affe-54b1d0 and

This one didn't work, it complained "Error when resolving package id:
Error"

Is there a rule for "use this VMMaker version with this <platform sources>
version". For sure the SqMap version number has nothing to do with
platform of VM, or has it? The SqMap text for 3.8b6 does not mention win32
or so. Perhaps this SqMap text is the source of my possible confusion (not
the reason).

> http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/package/2e7f103e-22a6-470d-
> affe-54b1d04ef34a/autoversion/12 for the 3.8b6 version. Note that the
> first one points you to relevant pages on the swiki. Note that it also
> lists a release for Squeak 3.7 (squeak 3.7.... win32-3.7.1.... hmmmm)
>
> Remember that VMMaker is *not* just a tool it is a bundle of most of the
> VM source code in Slang form. It is intimately bound to a particular
> level of the platform specific code kept in the svn repository.

Sure. But we unenlightened make mistakes (from which we hopefully can
learn).

Thank you for taking care of us.

/Klaus