why scripting (was: Thoughts from an outsider)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Sep 14 08:30:17 UTC 2006

"J J" <azreal1977 at hotmail.com> writes:
> What *does* the image do with arguments it gets on the command line?
> Would it
> be possible to add a -s switch to give control over to some kind of
> script class
> subsystem?

For the standard image, see:

  http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/425

Keep in mind, though, that you can certainly have a scripting-specific
image, and such an image can do things however you like.

> And I don't think the image would have to be scaled down
> much if at all.
> The image isn't that big right?  And any modern OS will cache it after
> the first use
> anyway.

This is one of the last things I would worry about.  There are loads
of little practical problems with writing scripts, and these are more
important than the startup overhead.

To start with:

  1. How do you access stdout and stdin?

  2. What happens if there is a syntax error or
     an uncaught exception?

-Lex