An 3.9 image for developers

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Thu Sep 14 19:32:03 UTC 2006

Hi Cédrick,

on Thu, 14 Sep 2006 20:56:36 +0200, you wrote:

> Hi
>
> For the packages...
> maybe we could add FFI ? needed for external browser and OSProcess ...
> (not sure)

But the only things which can be called by FFI are guaranteed to be
platform depended, how'd you support that?

> Anyway, if some packages are optional, I think it could be nice to have
> the repository set up in Monticello

This one is productivity gain par excellence. But as soon as the
repositories go away and/or the dev.image gets older and/or incompatible,
what will happen then? DNU's? frustration? confusion?

> SmaCC

Rather not (even Stef's not looking angry any more ;-)

> BrowserBooster
> DuoSystemBrowser

All that works for producing new software, yes.

> Cryptography

Impossible due to national laws.

> Postgres http://www.squeaksource.com/PostgresV2   and other db ??

Whatever DB it will be, it will also be always the wrong one. Who's using
PostgreSQL anyways, I have not seen anybody using it, during the last 30
years (see: experience related).

> RFB for vnc access - http://www.squeaksource.com/RFB

Productivity for the developer, yes.

/Klaus