VM and memory on win32

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Sep 14 23:48:46 UTC 2006

Jon Hylands wrote:
> One of the neat things with VisualWorks is it does not have this
> limitation. I've run VW images under Solaris that were up in the 1.7 GB
> range, and from what I've heard those guys (where I used to work, and am
> about to start working again) are now running 3.5 GB images.

On Windows? Really? That would be news to me.

> Of course, VW doesn't require contiguous memory, since old space is
> segmented...

That's not the issue. The more relevant constraint is Windows memory
layout. The need for contiguous memory only means we need to reserve
memory early in the process (which we do anyway) so I could probably
bump it up to 1.5G or so without any ill side effects. I just choose 1GB
since it seemed like a nice round number.

Cheers,
   - Andreas