join

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Fri Sep 15 01:25:31 UTC 2006

Hi Keith,

on Fri, 15 Sep 2006 01:57:52 +0200, wrote:
> any thoughts? I am curious as to why #join: hasn't made it into the core
> image, and if it were to how would it happen?

There are several reasons for the absence of #join:

- the most important one is, that nobody needs it (or else you would have
found it). Imagine Pearl with the full Squeak Stream hierarchy, why use
join?

- streaming is more flexible when you keep control, it allows better
maintainable and adaptable code.

- #join: must be implemented in *base* classes in order to work. String
streamContents: [:...] must not be implemented anywhere, it's always where
want need it.

Just my CHF 0.05

/Klaus