[Squeakland] How can the knights of the square brackets help the quest 2Be1?

Markus Gaelli gaelli at emergent.de
Fri Sep 15 11:56:36 UTC 2006

On Sep 15, 2006, at 10:09 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Markus Gaelli wrote:
>> Did anyone of you consider not to store the docs/specs of Etoys
>> statically, but the commands to recreate the docs?
>> I am imagining sth like "Create standard playfield at 100 at 100
>> called SolarSystem / Change color of SolarSystem to black/ Drop
>> standard ellipse into SolarSystem called sun/... and so on.
>
> Yes, Ted did some work on this in Tweak. The goal was to enable a
> user to get an understanding about some other user's project (this
> was actually triggered by some eToys project of yours where I
> couldn't for the hell of it figure out how you'd done it and
> wondered if there isn't a way for the system to explain that
> project to me).

;-)

> This is an interesting line of work but not quite complete enough
> to be feasible right now (also, it works only in Tweak since it
> relies on being able to record the user vs. the system
> modifications - in Tweak, we keep track of such end-user changes in
> an objects "tweaks" which is a list of user modifications readily
> available for analysis).

What do you think about using these logs as an overall storage
mechanism for projects/docs? Maybe not now, but in some time in the
future?

>> According to
>> http://www.csounds.com/manual/html/OSCNetwork.html (what's in a
>> name...;-)
>> csound comes with osc, and I happen to have written an osc-client
>> and server for squeak found on Squeakmap, maybe this could be of
>> some help to you?
>
> I don't know much about either CSound or OSC. It'd be great if
> there were some eToys UI for it, that would allow one to play a
> series of notes from some holder or so.

Do you imagine an interface to TamTam? TamTam uses the greyscale
mode, btw. will Etoys be available in greyscale mode also?
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/TamTam

I guess the easiest to interface to TamTam would be to emulate python
commands sent to the CSoundServer as found in:
http://dev.laptop.org/git.do?p=projects/
tamtam;a=blob;h=f3adc4b19f2b7352535c1e805065eee1d830f265;hb=697021638dd0
c608e58f95b3a9e2fc4461aa53be;f=Framework/CSound/CSoundServer.py

We needed to emulate the notes according to:
http://dev.laptop.org/git.do?p=projects/
tamtam;a=blob;h=40a19e5054bce50b7c189cbc176073ae3a685a20;hb=697021638dd0
c608e58f95b3a9e2fc4461aa53be;f=Framework/CSound/CSoundNote.py

Don't know why they don't use OSC instead -- funny thing to send
_any_ python command over a socket to some other machine (exec !)...
Looks like Etoys could then play tunes together with TamTam, even
sitting on some different machines... :-)

BUT: If you "only" wanted to create MIDI files to be played by csound
you might want to have a look at
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1406#Audio

which gives you a MidiScore to MIDI file writer by Yisrael Lowenstein
(Squeak 2.8 though, and beta, and I haven't tried it).

Cheers,

Markus