[VMMaker] sqMemoryAccess.h: No such file or directory

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Fri Sep 15 17:20:44 UTC 2006

Hi Mathieu,

thank you for taking the time and writing this up. I was able to used your
instructions but there are some differences and enhancements, see below.

/Klaus

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 10:48:35 +0200, you wrote:

> Klaus D. Witzel a écrit :
>> Hi Mathieu,
>>
>> on Thu, 14 Sep 2006 01:35:24 +0200, you wrote:
>>> I coudl manage to build a vm for windows base on VMMaker-3.8b4 and
>>> win32-3.8b4 source so if you want
>>> it ask me.
>>
>> I do, I do :) Can I have it for making my own builds? Or is it just
>> does/dont's.
>
> Yes you can but it's long and you have to patch plenty of things.
>
> 1. First step you have to get the source:
>  http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/VMM38b4/
>  I get it with HTTrack...
>
> 2. Load VMMaker-3.8b4 and start to generate the source.
>    You will have some bug so I load some *extention from the 3.8b6
> (juste some clas side categorie)

No, there was no bug here. Downloaded #6665 full then made the upgrade to
#6666 then loaded VMMaker again, perhaps this makes a difference.

>    This beceause #ccgDeclareCForVar: is missing. When you load those
> methods be careful of changing:
>     'sqInt' -> 'int'
>     'usqInt' -> 'unsigned'

Did not happen here.

>    e.g.: ccgDeclareCForVar: aSymbolOrString
>
> 	^'sqInt ', aSymbolOrString
> -->
> 	ccgDeclareCForVar: aSymbolOrString
>
> 	^'int', aSymbolOrString

Again, did not happen here.

>   But this depend on your processor so if you have 64bit it may change.
>
> 3. Try to compile the source but you have to download the gnutools.
>    You can get it from : http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/

Yes, I always do.

> 4. When you compile you while have some parser error beceause some sqInt
> declaration are use.
>    So replace them with the same method in 2.
>
> 5. You will also have a missing method.
>    Add this at the begining of gnu-interp.c (where the build.bat are)
>
> char *getImageName(void)
> {
>   return imageName;
> }

An easier change can be made in Slang: just replace getImageName() by
imageName in the two methods reported. So next time you don't have to
manually patch a .c file.

>   Normaly you will be able to compile at this state.

It did and now it runs the .image from which it was generated 8-)

>   BTW I will email the vm to you and Herbert König
>
> Fill free to ask question (my english writing is not realy good plus I
> can have miss some stape)
> 	Math

No problem with your English, as long as software development works :)

Thanks again.