[VMMaker] sqMemoryAccess.h: No such file or directory

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Sat Sep 16 08:22:20 UTC 2006

Hi Herbet,

on Sat, 16 Sep 2006 07:49:41 +0200, you wrote:
> Hello Mathieu, Klaus,
>
> HK> I plan to stick the vm under every 3.6 to 3.8 image I have and just
> HK> benchmark the application.
> Result is:
> everything I tried worked and there was nor difference in speed within
> the limits of my measurements.

Good to know, thanks for sharing the knowledge.

> I have to be closer to the mysql-database to check this application
> which will be in about two weeks.

So you gave up sleeping in favour of Squeak development ? :)

> I see you both continuing with newer VMMaker's and I'm interested in
> repeating the tests.

Have you seen Andreas' annoucement last night, [Vm-dev] New Win32 build
structure

-
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2006-September/000828.html

> Klaus> But there is no other (tool chain for the win32 Squeak.exe
> series) except
> Klaus> perhaps my cygwin experiment. Or are there alternatives?
>
> I just thought there would be, lots of discussions about newer gcc's
> after I built a vm, just after the change from 3.6 to 3.7.

I experimented with the cygwin tool chain a while ago, found almost only
two problem areas (LD versus DLLs, io+timers). If it costs not too much
blood, sweat and tears, Squeak should not rely on a single tool chain per
platform, there should be alternatives - always having the next potential
user of Squeak in mind.

> Checking the swiki 3389 only the links have changed, everything else
> is as it was then.
>
> If everything is stable, what benefits should be expected from using a
> newer VM?

Everything develops around us and we must try new tings or else our stable
looking things will outdate rapidly. Have said that, we know that people
can get a strange feeling when "their's" is at the 3.7-1 level and
"other's" is at the 3.8-6 level. We should expect and embrace more people
coming to Squeak because of Slang, and as if they predicted that I write
this, look what David Griswold posted last night 8-)

-
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2006-September/000823.html

/Klaus