Promoting Squeak in Academia

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 22:26:49 UTC 2006

I am an undergraduate student working in a mostly graduate lab
at Arizona State University. We are developing an interactive
multimedia environment with the goal of teaching young students
through active engagement (currently dance), and assessing how
well they are able to learn as it relates to the video and audio
feedback we provide.

In this regard, I believe our project has uncanny overlap with
the goals of squeak. Even our name (SMALLab) is similar. Our
quite out-of-date project page is on the web:
http://ame2.asu.edu/projects/ameed/
Our more up-to-date private wiki is at:
http://ame4.hc.asu.edu/edu/index.php/Main_Page

I think I should promote research and development in squeak. A
short discussion on #squeak with wBryce revealed that even our
CPU-intensive computer vision and motion quality analysis
sub-projects should run fast enough on squeak.  The various
sub-projects use a combination of Java, C++, MATLAB, and
Max/MSP+Jitter. I think (I do not know) that we use MIDI and
Ethernet broadcasting for communication between all the
computers and the devices.

How much of this is possible to do in squeak? Also, how might I
promote squeak to a very diverse set of students? There are
electrical engineering students (we use MATLAB and C++),
computer science students (they use C++ and Java), music
students, and visual arts students (using Max/MSP with Jitter)
developing the code that runs in SMALLab.

Also, I may look deeper into the viability of squeak in our
project when I enter graduate school in spring 2008.

Please note that I do NOT represent SMALLab; this is 100%
unofficial.

--
Matthew Fulmer