[Enh][VM] primitiveApplyToFromTo for the heart of the enumeration of collections?

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Sun Sep 17 02:48:12 UTC 2006

Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
> Your arguing for the status quo is way too conservative for a living
> community, there was a reason why people asked for speeding up
> enumeration  of collections and also why it was suggested to consider
> the IBM approach  #apply:from:to:.

I don't think it's conservative at all, just practical.
Changing the VM, by adding a new primitive, will affect
all VM development from that point forward. IMHO, such
a change requires a rock solid case to support it. At this
point is seems hard to justify the complexity and fragility
(i.e. depending of primitive failure code running) of the
proposed performance optimization. Introducing a new VM
primitive has got to be way low down on the list of ways
to meet a performance requirement.