Promoting Squeak in Academia

Eric Winger eric at thewingers.net
Sun Sep 17 04:05:34 UTC 2006

Le Sep 16, 2006, à 3:26 PM, Matthew Fulmer a écrit :
<snip>

> How much of this is possible to do in squeak? Also, how might I
> promote squeak to a very diverse set of students? There are
> electrical engineering students (we use MATLAB and C++),
> computer science students (they use C++ and Java), music
> students, and visual arts students (using Max/MSP with Jitter)
> developing the code that runs in SMALLab.

I'm neither an expert in marketing, nor in promotion, but I would say
that the best thing you could do to interest others in Smalltalk is to
pick a problem that they are having in their existing languages. Then
try to solve it elegantly in Smalltalk. If you then show them your
solution, and its a better solution (easier, faster, less code,
whatever) you should at least get their attention.

Eric