Open Licensing for future Squeak

Markus Gaelli gaelli at emergent.de
Sun Sep 17 18:03:46 UTC 2006

Andreas Raab told me after my quest to change the license "at least"
for the current vms:

- The VM is a binary and not source, thus the OSS discussion would
not apply.
- None of the VM makers/maintainers is interested in this task at the
moment, as the task is not important enough for them _now_
- Changing the license of the VM might actually be _harder_ than
relicensing the image code as all the plugins had to be looked through
- If you wanted to help, you needed to classify all the changes to
the VM from 1.1: Who did what and when... then you had to ask the
authors for their agreement with a relicensing.

In the long future it looks like Ian Piumarta's new Pepsi and Coke
Meta-VM might lift off:

"2. Alan Kay, Kim Rose, and the eToys team spent the week in
Cambridge at
the OLPC offices. They continue to make rapid progress towards the
integration of eToys into the laptop software environment (they also
provided useful feedback) and have eToys running on the laptop. Ian
Piumarta gave the OLPC team an update on his “dynamically reconfigurable
virtual machine”, which may be—in the longer term—the basis of
programming
environment for the Laptop, in that it is simple, fast, extremely
flexible
and quite eloquent."
http://laptop.media.mit.edu/laptopnews.nsf/latest/news?opendocument=
from yesterday.

Cheers,

Markus

  Squeak1.1 die Modifikationen zur VM zu klassifizieren: Was, wann,
wer. Dann kannst Du die originalen Autoren fragen ob sie mit einer
Relizensierung einverstanden sind.