[Enh][VM] primitiveApplyToFromTo for the heart of theenumeration of collections?

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 17 18:55:31 UTC 2006

>From: Bryce Kampjes <bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk>
>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>Subject: Re: [Enh][VM] primitiveApplyToFromTo for the heart of
>theenumeration of collections?
>Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 11:12:36 +0100
>
>No-one has yet demonstrated that there is a practical performance
>problem with either our current occurencesOf: or even an
>implementation that used count:.
>
>Bryce

The issue that triggered this whole thing about the primative was the fact
that it was demonstrated that rolling you own count: using do: and a temp
variable was faster then using the library count:.

This is a problem, yes?  The library count: shouldn't be 3 times slower (I
think that was the number) then rolling your own.  Klaus has tried to come
up with a solution to this.  Do you have another solution to it?

Now I understand your objection about not wanting to add a speed
optimization that actually slows down the common case, but I don't see where
the message sends get slower.  Does that have something to do with another
primative being added?  Does every new primative add a speed hit?