Squeak for the masses? [was: primitiveApplyToFromTo]

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Mon Sep 18 15:40:31 UTC 2006

Hi Ron,

I've asked David Griswold who posts over in vm-dev about reusing Squeak's
ObjectMemory, the answer was: rather not (because slangish, because
squeakish). And earlier Craig asked him if they want the VM be written in
Smalltalk, the answer was: too huge a project for now, but in the long
term self-hosting and self-debugging would be great.

BTW the Strongtalk list is @

This perhaps looks like a not so fast development project; also
performance for them is critical due to startup and compilation pauses.
But perhaps they will find acceptable material - resuable things - and
also funds and hands with VM knowledge.

Time will show. Indeed, David wrote that their goal is producing a version
of the Strongtalk VM for Squeak ...

/Klaus