self send inliner (was: [Enh][VM] primitiveApplyToFromTo for the heart of theenumeration of collections?)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Mon Sep 18 19:48:00 UTC 2006

Avi Bryant wrote:
> Has anyone ever played with a simple self-sends inliner?  No de-
> inlining when debugging, no post-inlining optimization, no attempt to
> deal with polymorphism, just inlining monomorphic self-sends...

Due to inheritance you do have to deal with polymorphism before you can
inline self sends. Unless you want to add Java silliness like "final".

One curious detail - I never implement "super" in my VMs but instead
handle it by inlining the code. No need to worry about polymorphism in
that case...

-- Jecel