Strongtalk vs Exupery etc

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Tue Sep 19 13:26:44 UTC 2006

I don't see any of this in terms of either/or.  While it is true that some
effort may be diverted by working with Strongtalk to develop a Squeak VM it
doesn't mean that it will derail all other efforts.

The question is should we as a community work with Strontalk to help make a
Strongtalk VM for squeak possible.  Even if we do nothing else but make
Strongtalk better, does that really hurt smalltalk in general or Squeak
specifically?  It appears that Strongtalk will have its own community and
will move forward with or without support from Sun, and with or without
support from Squeak.  Since the work will proceed anyway, and since
strongtalk is already going to benefit from contributions from the squeak
community, shouldn't we benefit from that work?

I would think that we should not limit our options.  The opportunity we have
now is clear, work to support a Strongtalk vm version for squeak, and we
could have a close relationship with another open source community, or pass
on this opportunity, lose some people anyway, and further fragment the
general open source Smalltalk community.

Jecel may be right and it is not possible because of competing self interest
to get the community to think of the benefit of the community as a whole,
but I would think that now is the time to try.  Decisions like this are
difficult, if people feel that their efforts are being minimized.  We really
need to stress that the work that has been done on the squeak VM, and
Exupery is extremely valuable and will continue to be very important.  We
can help Strongtalk and benefit the general Smalltalk community at the same
time by creating a bridge between Squeak and Strongtalk for those in the
community that might benefit from it.

Ron Teitelbaum