Strongtalk VM for Squeak

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Tue Sep 19 18:03:10 UTC 2006

> Yes, fair enough. I was referring more to the Lisp Machines,
> a la Symbolics. It's still command-oriented, in a way, a bit
> like emacs (which, incidentally, I believe is a good thing,
> and that Squeak should steal a number of features from
> emacs), but makes good use of reflection in its programming

I don't like the command oriented nature, not being an emacs user, I'm
curious what things you think Squeak should steal?

> environment and user interface for quite a rich IDE/UI.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisp_machine
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Debugger.gif
>
> You can see a screencast of the machine in action, too:
>
> http://www.lemonodor.com/archives/000103.html
>
> The movie itself:
>
> http://www.lemonodor.com/archives/misc-gems/lispm.mov.gz
>
> Cheers,
>   Tony

Interesting, in some way's that looks more advanced than Slime, doesn't say
much for Slime.  I like the context menu's, but I don't like the REPL, I'll
take a workspace over a REPL any day of the week.