Where's the new Smalltalk?

Michael Latta lattam at mac.com
Tue Sep 19 21:05:19 UTC 2006

Ruby is the first language in 30 years I actually find interesting compared
to Smalltalk.  Mostly it is enough like Smalltalk with a few interesting
twists, and has much better momentum in the mainstream.  It of course has
poor performance because it is not supported by a large corporation yet.
But, the ease of working at the meta class level and the approach to class
specification is very interesting.  All statements are executable, even
those that incrementally create a class definition.  So rather than a large
multi-part method send as in Smalltalk each aspect of the class definition
is a separate method send to the class object itself, with full run-time
class modification supported.  Now all it needs is a good VM and a GUI!

As to the real question you raise, I have not seen interesting programming
language research in 25 years.  I think things are heating up for the next
round of language experimentation however.  All the signs are there for
another period of broad experimentation reminiscent of the 70s.

Michael