Where's the new Smalltalk?

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 07:01:00 UTC 2006

On 9/19/06, Brad Fuller <brad at sonaural.com> wrote:
> Why? Is the answer merely a funding issue?

Not only that. I think that for the last decade, the biggest bummer is
that language research has actually been Java research. I know of a
*lot* of theses and dissertations on "continuations in Java",
"delegation in Java", etcetera. Some guy hacks up the VM, writes a
paper, gets his degree, and everything he did is forgotten because
it's too "out there" to be picked up by the Java standardization
process. And it hardly counts as "R", more as "D", anyway.

BTW: I'll really like Ruby by the time it gets alive, iow supports an
image. Until that time, it's just another language in the
Perl/Python/... fold.