OLPC eToys!

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 20 15:42:09 UTC 2006

On 2006 September 19 17:52, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> What would be really interesting is if someone could come up with a way
> to author projects at their native OLPC resolution (1200x900) while
> viewing them at half that size, that is, scaled by 0.5 in a 600x450
> window. This is because the actual resolution of the display is 200 dpi,
> whereas a normal monitor has 100 dpi.

Hmm. I never really tried a resolution outside of the "standard" (1280x960
etc), but if setting X to non-standard resolution to 1200x900 / 600x450
works .. if I build a project on the higher resolution and then restart X on
lower, and run the project - is that what you have in mind?

> Of course we also need cool example projects to show off all the stuff
> that is accessible for etoys (remember the "Worlds of Squeak" projects
> that were in Squeak releases prior to 3.8?).

Heh, I use a stretched captured of that "Squeak Rulez" window as my laptop
background image when working in the office on my Java contract :)) -
generated a few questions, it is a really nice background. That aside, would
porting the Worlds of Squeak be of interest?

> >> Also, is there a VM preference for testing (3.9 on Linux?)
>
> We use the very latest Linux VM, which is 3.9-8 (only available from SVN
> for now). I did set up a build system, follow the Sugar instructions at
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys
>
> >   Ideally, the VM should be the one built from SVN repository
> > http://tinlizzie.org/olpc/sugar/, but 3.9 line of Linux VM is pretty
> > much identical so far.
>
> In fact, it is identical, because it is just pulling the latest from SVN
>   on checkout.

I plan to test the image for sure over the weekend, whether I manage to build
the VM is in question :(, as I run KDE and suspect some gnome libraries
dependencies fight etc, but will try!

Thanks for the pointers, Milan