OLPC eToys!

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Wed Sep 20 17:19:45 UTC 2006

Milan Zimmermann wrote:
> On 2006 September 19 17:52, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>>What would be really interesting is if someone could come up with a way
>>to author projects at their native OLPC resolution (1200x900) while
>>viewing them at half that size, that is, scaled by 0.5 in a 600x450
>>window. This is because the actual resolution of the display is 200 dpi,
>>whereas a normal monitor has 100 dpi.
>

> Hmm. I never really tried a resolution outside of the "standard" (1280x960
> etc), but if setting X to non-standard resolution to 1200x900 / 600x450
> works .. if I build a project on the higher resolution and then restart X on
> lower, and run the project - is that what you have in mind?

Working in 1200x900 resolution isn't really the problem.
IIUC, the problem is having a true picture of the result.

Suppose you manage to set your resolution at 1200x900,
and merrily author a project on your 19" monitor (for example).
You'll choose font sizes, box sizes, alignment, etc, based
on what you see. But when this project is actually run on
a real OLPC, it'll only be a quarter the size (because the
screen resolution is 200dpi, not the more typical 100dpi).
The result may be that some things may be illegible.