Squeak for the masses? [was: primitiveApplyToFromTo]

David Mitchell david.mitchell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 02:06:23 UTC 2006

> Ralph Johnson wrote,
>
> There have been a number of Smalltalk projects with dozens, sometimes
> hundreds, of people on them.  None have been successful.  On large
> projects, politics and management issues overwhelm technical decisions
> and the value of Smalltalk gets lost.

Of course, "none" is an absolute, so it is easily disproven. I've been
on two large systems written in Smalltalk and both were incredibly
successful. One was a banking recordkeeping system (stock trading) and
the other ran the policyholder information for a large insurance carrier
(including a web application to process changes online back in 98). Both
of these systems had over 50 developers. Note that both used small teams
(6-12) to develop parts of the application. The insurance carrier used
Smalltalk in a number of other mission critical applications, each with
development teams around 40-60.