OLPC eToys!

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Thu Sep 21 04:57:42 UTC 2006

On 2006 September 20 13:12, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> No, I was actually looking for something to simulate the user experience
> of the OLPC display on a regular display. I'd like to have a
> "minification glass" I put on top of the actual 1200x900 Squeak project
> to make its physical size on the monitor be 600x450 pixels.

ok I think I get it - because for the same amount of dots (as in dot-pitch, or
pixels if it's 1:1), the OLPC screen is half size of my screen. And you
probably do not care about whether it's 1200 or 1280 because it's mostly to
evaluate the human experiance?

> For example,
> I think there are VNC clients that can scale down a remote display, that
> might be one idea to achieve what I want.

http://www.cus.cam.ac.uk/~ssb22/source/vnc-magnification.html

"At the time of writing (2005), only Windows VNC clients can magnify," - but
that should be ok, can run the VNC on Windows. (Also I hope when they say
magnify it can also scale down ...)

http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/3.3.7/winvncviewer.html

real VNC client (windows) seems to be able to scale down ...

I can play with that...

> >> Of course we also need cool example projects to show off all the stuff
> >> that is accessible for etoys (remember the "Worlds of Squeak" projects
> >> that were in Squeak releases prior to 3.8?).
> >
> > Heh, I use a stretched captured of that "Squeak Rulez" window as my
> > laptop background image when working in the office on my Java contract
> > :)) - generated a few questions, it is a really nice background. That
> > aside, would porting the Worlds of Squeak be of interest?
>
> Maybe - what we want to show is the things that set etoys apart from all
> the other apps that are on the laptop.

:)

<<snip>>

> You don't need to use that VM, or even Linux.

ok, sounds like no need to build the VM...