Sockets broken on Macs?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Sep 21 05:44:45 UTC 2006

If you have a shell script "foobar" and rename it to "foobar.command"
then double-clicking on it will launch Terminal and it will run the
shell script.
Or you install the OSProcess plugin (unix osx) and use the carbon or
unix VM to invoke the shell script via a handy squeak application.

For the bindings issues select the image, do get info and down at the
Open with:  tab select which app to  use, and if you want all
documents of this type to open with that application, etc.   That
should fix the launch database.

On 20-Sep-06, at 9:38 PM, Robert Withers wrote:

> I do ok with unix, but the issue is tying an icon to 'sudo squeak'
> and that's a Mac UI thing.  It's prolly fairly simple.  Another Mac
> issue I have is how to clear out old application bindings to files
> with particular extensions.  My squeak images are still bound to a
> prior non-existing version of the squeak vm.
>
> On Sep 20, 2006, at 8:47 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>> Nay, you need a book on how to run unix.
>>
>> On 20-Sep-06, at 7:20 PM, Robert Withers wrote:
>>
>>> I forgot all about sudo, so thanks for the reminders.   Is it
>>> possible to run  a program with sudo and still launch it from an
>>> icon?   I suppose I really should buy a book on how to use the
>>> Mac...
>>
>> --
>> ======
>> John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>