Sockets broken on Macs?

Georg Gollmann gollmann at zid.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Sep 21 07:31:45 UTC 2006

Am 21.09.2006 um 03:31 schrieb John M McIntosh:
> On a mac, being the administrator doesn't mean you are root
> automatically, a small security measure. Unlike *cough* other
> operating systems where root/admin is a theoretical concept, with
> fuzzy implementation completely side-stepped by all users on the
> machine...
>
> Lastly if you dig about in the os-x unix roots you'll find sudo so
> you can set a squeak process to run as super user to get access to
> ports < 1024 and the user does not have to be admin. However this
> is not a good solution you might consider some more research to see
> how to avoid running squeak as root.

One technique I use (with GemStone on Linux) is to use the firewall
to map the privileged port number to an unprivileged one.
On Linux with iptables the spell for the "nat" table is for example
> -A PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --dport 443 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 8008

On the Mac do a "man ipfw" or use a graphical front end for the
firewall configuration.

Good luck!

Kind regards
Georg