[ANN] Squeak Documentation Project

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 15:38:25 UTC 2006

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 10:29:33AM -0400, Bakki Kudva wrote:
> Hi Mathew,
>
> This is something the noobs need badly. How about creating a community
> documentation wiki like the RailsWiki
> http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails
> except it should be better organized by a team leader.

I agree with you about the need for a community documentation
wiki. However, we already have such a wiki. I think that we
should stick with the existing minnow Swiki, rather than make a
new one from scratch. The Swiki has a *lot* of information
already; it just needs love to put it into a nice hierarchy. I
know that Swiki is not the best wiki software at the moment,
but it is nearly always better to work with what you have than
to start over. And, if Squeak is as good as we say it is, Swiki
should be the premiere wiki software in a couple of years.

> My thoughts on this...
>
> I think it should have two broad sections.
> 1. Manuals
> Howtos, tutorials and long winded explanations
> 2. Language reference
> The links on ref.home should map to the classes as they are displayed
> in the system browser. Categories -> Classes -> Methods. (no need for
> method categories I think) Then for each method there should be a
> brief explanation followed by example usage.
>
> The skeleton can be setup by the team and the community can start
> filling things in. Team would also do some editing of content...filter
> out spam etc.(or require login - with email verification. RailsWiki
> had some bad spam problems).

The minnow Swiki is a members-only wiki, meaning that you need
to ask on IRC for the user name and password. That may need to
change, but it is not in my power.

> I'll be happy to participate and can even host it on my server.
> my 2 cents worth.

Thanks. I will need all the help I can get. I put up a voting
page to see what the community thinks: should we stick with
the minnow Swiki, or should we start over:

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5870
(at the bottom)

--
Matthew Fulmer