[ANN] Squeak Documentation Project

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Sep 21 15:58:23 UTC 2006

"Bakki Kudva" <bakki.kudva at gmail.com> writes:
> This is something the noobs need badly. How about creating a community
> documentation wiki like the RailsWiki
> http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails
> except it should be better organized by a team leader.
> My thoughts on this...
>
> I think it should have two broad sections.
> 1. Manuals
> Howtos, tutorials and long winded explanations
> 2. Language reference

Have you guys looked at the Documentation wiki area we already have?
It is linked from the front page of the wiki.

  http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2983

I'll append its table of contents.  In my view, we already have an
excellent documentation framework.  The place people can help is to
actually write these nice articles.

-Lex

    For this page to be meaningful requires the effort of the whole
    Squeak comunity. To contribute see How to help us document Squeak.

Thanks, the management.

Introduction

    *
      About Squeak
          o The History of Squeak
                + The Early History of Smalltalk by Alan C. Kay
                + Travels with Smalltalk by Dave Thomas traces the larger history of Smalltalk up to the 90s
                + Quotes and anecdotes
                + Squeak's Place in the Universe
          o Features
          o Supported platforms
          o License, see Squeak-L
    *
      Squeak and Smalltalk Basics
          o Smalltalk: A White Paper Overview by Harry Porter
          o Smalltalk overview
          o ANSI Smalltalk: the standard.
          o Learn Smalltalk
          o Squeak's programming language: Smalltalk and Squeak's dialect of it.
          o The Squeak and Smalltalk Glossary

Getting started

    * Squeak FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions about Squeak
    * Reporting Bugs and Fixes
    * Squeak Mailing List
    *
      Obtaining Squeak
          o Downloading Squeak
    *
      Installing Squeak
          o How do I install Squeak for Windows?
          o How do I install Squeak for Mac?
          o Download for Unix
                + Squeak for Debian Users
          o BSD
    *
      Learning Squeak
          o Introductions to Squeak
          o Self Study course for learning Squeak.
          o The Newbie page
          o Squeak Cookbook %G–%@ HowTo
          o Squeak for Non-Native Speakers (pdf), by Noel Rappin of EchoBridge.
          o Squeak, the Smalltalk of the 21st. Century, by Germán Arduino.

Using Squeak

    *
      Interacting with Squeak
          o Squeak User Interface: working with Squeak's interface
          o Morphic: Squeak's newer graphics framework
          o MVC: The older graphics framework
                + Forms, Views, and Windows
                + The FormEditor
          o Fonts in Squeak
    *
      Configuring and Tuning
          o User Preferences
    *
      Installing Applications
          o SqueakMap: Add Packages to your Image
          o SqueakMap Usage HOWTO: How to work with SqueakMap and the Package
          o Monticello concurrent versioning system for Squeak code.
    *
      Printing
          o Postscript support
    *
      Storage
          o Introduction to ImageSegments #3
          o Files and Directories
    *
      Localization
          o Squeak Localization
          o Multilingual Support
    *
      Multimedia
          o Sound and music
          o Video
          o Squeak-specific media
          o 3D
          o Presentation authoring
          o Presentaciones en Squeak, by Germán Arduino. This article is in Spanish, translators are welcomed!
    *
      Networking
          o Internet integration
          o Mail
                + Celeste
          o World Wide Web
                + Swiki
                + Comanche
                + SmallWiki
          o Scamper
    *
      Miscellaneous
          o Squeak Threading Model
          o FFI

Programming with Squeak

    *
      Introduction
            Basic Squeak Development Tools:
            %G–%@ Browsers, Workspaces, Inspectors, etc.
          o SUnit S-Unit Testing Framework
          o Hello World programs %G–%@ Ways of how to make a simple 'Hello World' Application
          o Dependencies
          o Monticello concurrent versioning system for Squeak code.
    *
      Programming with the Squeak User Interface
          o BitBlt
          o see also Using Squeak
          o Block Closures %G–%@ Blocks in Squeak
          o Processes
          o Exception Handling
    *
      Storage
          o Introduction to ImageSegments #3
          o Files
    *
      Networking

Inside Squeak

    * System Documentation
    * The Squeak Image
    *
      The Virtual Machine
          o VM Command Line Options
          o The Interpreter
          o Simulating the Interpreter: running the Squeak VM from within Squeak.
          o The Object Memory (the heap)
          o The Squeak Garbage Collector
          o Porting Squeak

Bugs and Fixes

    * Reporting Bugs and Fixes
    * Bug Fixes Archive
    * Known Bugs
    * ClassDescription

Appendices

    *
      Bibliography
          o Squeak books in print %G–%@ Books about Squeak
          o Smalltalk books %G–%@ Books about Smalltalk in general
          o Videos and Presentations
    *
      Resources on the Internet
          o http://www.squeak.org/ %G–%@ The official Squeak Homepage
          o http://www.smalltalk.org/ %G–%@ The official Smalltalk Homepage
          o http://www.whysmalltalk.com/ %G–%@ huge collection of Tutorials, HowTos and much more about Smalltalk
    *
      Also see:
          o the class comments inside your Squeak image,
          o the available projects on various Super Swikis, and
          o the package descriptions in SqueakMap

Miscellaneous - orphaned

    *
      Older Front Page Links
          o Bibliography Online papers on Squeak, Smalltalk, and object-oriented programming - very extensive!
          o Modules - documentation about the modules/packages/repository system that was added to 3.3. (now obsolete!)
          o Squeak on Handhelds: running Squeak on machines like the iPaq.
          o Uncategorized Essays: miscellanous documentation that doesn't fit elsewhere.
          o Essays Wanted %G–%@ essays that it would be wonderful to have around, but which aren't.
          o Cash for Documentation %G–%@ help support the Squeak community by bidding for needed documentation
    *
      Cleanup - to be moved?