[ANN] Squeak Documentation Project

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 17:09:48 UTC 2006

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 12:43:37PM -0400, Bakki Kudva wrote:
> Hi  Lex, Mathew,
>
> I have seen the swiki and perhaps my choice of words "creating a wiki"
> was wrong and misleading. I do think that  the language ref
> particularly needs 'the love' Brad is talking about. I have found that
> the php reference was the best I've ever used.
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/
> The reason is that there is a quick way to find the info on the
> particular php function, where you find its description, example code
> and usage notes from users. We could do something similar. However I
> feel that most smalltalkers first get familiar (newbies like me) with
> the system browser while exploring code and so if the index page of
> the ref manual is organized the same way then one could quickly find a
> class>>method page and the information there could follow the same
> format for all methods:

> Example code: ...................
> User notes: ......................
>
> This could use some nice css to box each section in a squeak like
> frame with different colors etc.
>
> WHy not emulate and improve upon something that works really well?

This is exactly what I want to build, but for Squeak/Smalltalk

> Seaside halos already exposes the object heirarchy. Perhaps this could
> be extended to be the documentation engine with the code edit
> capability ofcourse turned off?

The more automatic this process can be, the better. I may look
into it later, but for now, I want to compile a comprehensive
Squeak documentation index so that we have a place to start. So
far, the Swiki seems like the best place to do this, however, I
am not familiar with all the technology that squeak offers in
this area. I have zero experience with Seaside. If Seaside is
better suited to the documentation project, we should definitely
use it.

> On 21 Sep 2006 17:58:23 +0200, Lex Spoon <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> >Have you guys looked at the Documentation wiki area we already have?
> >It is linked from the front page of the wiki.
> >
> >  http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2983

Yes, I have. I plan to use it too. There are frameworks already
in place for doing what I want to do, we just need to make use
of them.

--
Matthew Fulmer