[ANN] Squeak Documentation Team formation

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 18:32:36 UTC 2006

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 12:37:30PM -0400, Bakki Kudva wrote:
> Mathew,
>
> I'll throw my hat in the ring. I am a newbie and my contributions will
> have to follow my learning curve.

Thank you much. Could you add your name to
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5870

Ask on #squeak for the user name and password

> I'd also add debugging as a topic to the scope. How about 4 sections.
>
> 1. Topics relating to the environment and tools.(installation,
> browsing, coding, debugging, monticello)
> 2. Topics related to Smalltalk core classes (just the language)
> 3. Topcis related to extended classes (gui, mvc, morphic etc)
> 4. Topics related to application classes (seaside etc)

That is nearly the same outline I had in mind:

1. Installation, browsing
2. Language, coding, core classes
3. Collections. Here I would have the reader build a simple,
    Transcript-based program. Unit tests may be here.
4. Morphic. This would include:
    4.1. Basic widgets: buttons, hyperlinks, text, lists
    4.2. Creating and populating a SystemWindow
    4.3. Assembling a useful application.

> I think the tutorial section should cover all topics which would make
> one a proficient smalltaker. I am learning all the stuff bit by bit
> hunting and pecking here and there.

I agree; however, what topics this includes is debatable.

Here is my current criteria, and how I would rank relevant topics:
Is this skill essential to being a good Squeak and Morphic Programmer?

Yes:
    Installation
    Debugging
    Browsing
    Coding
    Smalltalk Language
    Collections
    Morphic

Probably:
    Unit Testing
    Change Sets

Maybe:
    SqueakSource
    SqueakMap
    MontiCello
    Projects

Probably not:
    seaside

No:
    mvc

There are three options for each topic:
1. Include it in this beginners tutorial, because that skill is
    essential to being a good Squeak programmer.
2. Create another tutorial to address it.
3. Link to an existing tutorial of the appropriate scope.

I do not want to duplicate effort; I want to create a tutorial
to take a programmer from "Squeak? Huh?" to "I know how to use
squeak to develop useful applications, and I know where to go
for help"

The content and organization of the tutorial is an open topic.

--
Matthew Fulmer