Should Test-Driven Development be in the beginners tutorial?

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 23 14:21:07 UTC 2006

I know the reflex is going to be to say yes, but I would say it's an
intermediate topic.  The reason is that I think unit testing shines the
brightest in later revisions to your applications (making sure changes
didn't break code).

A possible way is to make a theme like they did in Dolphin.  In Dolphin the
tutorial is about making a minimal bank account program.  Someone wrote
tutorials about how to extend these later.  I think that could work.  You
make your simple Morhpic app, then in the next installment you explain the
features your application doesn't have but needs and so you explain that you
want to first make unit tests to ensure you don't break anything.