[ANN] 7061 = Squeak 3.9 final

Adrian Lienhard adi at netstyle.ch
Mon Sep 25 19:33:08 UTC 2006

On Sep 25, 2006, at 21:11 , Brad Fuller wrote:

> Brad Fuller wrote:
>> tim Rowledge wrote:
>>
>> Wouldn't the VM Crash, that I and others reported, be a reason not to
>> release until fixed? Mantis issue# 0005056
>>
>> brad
> No comment on my question?

I think, the current VM issues would be a good reason to pospone the
release.

Unfortunately, as it seems to me, the VM is quite poorly maintained.
Probably the main reason being that the maintainers don't have enough
time (or, in other words, because they are not paid to fix the
problems). Another difficulty is that there are only few people that
actually work on the VM (why?).

Apart from the bug you mention (http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?
id=0005056) there are others. For example:
- http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4709 (VM blocks after memory
consumtion exceeds ~120MB)
- http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4882 (VM lockup)

Cheers,