Squeak map colours

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 19:45:56 UTC 2006

2006/9/25, Ramon Leon <ramon.leon at allresnet.com>:

> > So Squeak is not meant to build commercial products (Impara,
> > Smallthought, ... )?
> >
> > To be honest I have a hard time renumbering the last time
> > SqueakMap worked and did not throw an obscure error at me.
> >
> > That's why I prefer to have all my packages in Monticello,
> > just hit load and it works.
> >
> > Philippe
>
> Seaside is changing that, Squeak is perfect for writing commercial web
> applications.

Not perfect. Not even close. Just look at the hacks introduced in
Seaside2.7a1-avi.10 because blocks in Squeak suck.

Do you know how many times I got bitten (doing commercial web
applications) because I forgot to add a #fixTemps? It can tell you one
thing, if Java 1.7 will get closures, it will not require #fixTemps.

Then there are all these VM horror stories. And don't get me started
on persistence, or XML, or SOAP, or concurrency, or ...  or IO in
general, urls, ... or browsers

Philippe