[ANN] 7061 = Squeak 3.9 final

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Mon Sep 25 20:42:38 UTC 2006

stephane ducasse wrote:
>>> been an VM ignorant I cannot reply. Now I hope that this bug can be
>>> fixed for 3.9 VMs
>>> It seems to me that from an image perspective we can safely release
>>> the image.
>>> Now we should also move, so that people migrate their code on 3.9
>>> and that we start
>>> on 3.10 :)
>> Thanks for your comment, Stef. That seems reasonable. However, are
>> you sure that it's a VM issue? The VM crashes, but can it not be an
>> issue from higher up?
>
> Of course it can. But what can we do? do we have reproduceable bugs. I
> do not think so.
The code is in the mantis defect that is 100% reproducible on my PC. I
think it's easy to duplicate or make other PCs crash.

> So we can stop 3.9 and postpone it but
> I'm pretty sure it will not help.
I think what you are saying is that 3.9 should be pushed forward because
there are few people to look at this problem. If this is the case, a
couple of comments to that:

* Tim's been assigned the defect.
* John said he'd look at the Mac version of it.
* what is the acceptance criteria for releasing a major version?

We don't know when Tim and John will be looking at the problem. But,
certainly a crash should be enough to stop and consider the release. No?

Thanks to Tim and John for looking into this!

> VW has good VM because some smart guys are payed full time for that.
> Now the community does not want to understand that
> money (the stuff with believe has value) is a good way to make things
> happening. So improvements will be slow and we should leave with that.
> Now if every seasoned squeakers would put 100 $ on a pot we could make
> that change. I tried with the foundation but failed. So now I will
> watch (but sadly I know the answer).
I'm a poor musician... but I could spare  a C note for the cause!. ;-)