Doc team March 2007 report

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 08:55:05 UTC 2007

Thanks to the Google Summer of Code initiative and the resulting
influx of newbies, there was renewed interest in the
documentation team near the end of the month, leading up to a
concrete road map based on what others have volunteered for.
These ideas have been floating around for some time, and I think
it is time we implemented them. This road map was sent to
squeak-dev just prior to this report.

Other things that happened this month:

Aaron Riechow has a series of Squeak screencasts nearly ready
for release. I, for one, can't wait to see them.

We gained two new members:

    Max OrHai, who has volunteered to help maintain the Squeak
    Tutorial List [1].

    Paul Bennett has begun to contact previous document authors
    for the purpose of re-publishing content in a more
    maintainable and newbie-friendly form

I continued evolving the Squeak Tutorial List [1], and finally
added a link to it from http://www.squeak.org/Documentation/

Last month, I said I would document ThingLab. This did not
happen, as I lost interest in ThingLab due to it being
irrelevant for Peek.

I encourage everyone to think about how much you would love to
completely understand Squeak. With good documentation, this is
entirely possible. Please leave comments on the road map
proposal; I know your time is limited, but, if I understand what
direction the community wants to take Squeak documentation, we
can work together to make it possible.

By next month, I plan to compile a todo list for the Doc team.
This will be detailed enough to allow anyone to make useful
contributions to Squeak documentation on a budget of 2-10 hours
per week. Small steps are the way to meet a goal. Let's start
toward a better, more understandable Squeak.