What's over the horizon?

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 6 15:44:37 UTC 2007

>From: tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org>
>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>Subject: Re: What's over the horizon?
>Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 20:28:54 -0700

I realize this might have been an April fool's thing, but on the chance that
it isn't:

>New VM. New image.

What would you change about the VM?  One thing I have seen on this list was
that the VM is hard coded on creating a window when it starts.  I wonder how
hard it would be to make this plugable so that the headless image doesn't do
any of those routines at all and a wxSqueak or similar can go straight into
their own display.

>Fixed compiled method format.
>Proper source accessors.
>Decent change recording.

Care to expand on these (or point to a place where it is already)?  Change
recording I am most interested in hearing what it doesn't do that it should.
  One thing I was thinking about was that change sets should have optional
comments.  Smalltalk comes closer then any language I have ever seen to
being self documenting, but what is never shown is the 'why' things were
done.  Change set comments might be able to help here.

>Little-endian bitmaps instead of 'nobody uses big endian anymore'  current
>format. Probably same for Floats.

I'm also curious about this.  What is happening now and what should be
happening.

>Get rid of MVC. Replace morphic with something actually
>a) designed
>b) documented
>c) using hardware on most platforms to do fonts and most drawing with
>vectors instead of pixmaps.

Does everyone feel that the MVC/MVP paradym is not a good one?  Dolphin's
MVP seemed quite good to me.

For some of these things, it might be good to work out a kind of spec for
what is expected for these systems we want upgraded so that if anyone is
looking for a project they can pick it up and know what the goal is.