Unicode Arrows in Shout ( was Re: Squeak-dev/Squeak-webimagev95-2)

Andrew Tween amtween at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 8 07:26:50 UTC 2007

Hi,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bert Freudenberg" <bert at freudenbergs.de>
To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers list"
Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2007 10:34 PM
Subject: Re: Unicode Arrows in Shout ( was Re: Squeak-dev/Squeak-webimagev95-2)

> On Apr 7, 2007, at 21:12 , Andrew Tween wrote:
>
> > Hi Bert,
> >> The freetype importer needs to map those characters to a blank glyph.
> >
> > freetype? I think you meant truetype?
>
> Sorry, yes, that's what I meant.
>
> > In which case - yes, but how?
>
> IIRC truetype requires glyph number 0 to be a zero-width blank glyph.
> So if you assign that in the character-to-glyph map it will not be
> rendered.

I think glyph 0 is the "unknown" glyph - usually a rectangle.
glyph 1 is the "null" glyph.

Having said that, the TTCFontReader is making its own blank glyph for
separators.

Which is ok. But...

TTCFontReader>>processCharMap: creates two encodings; the first has 256 entries,
the second 65536.
In the first encoding, it sets the entry for each separator character to the
blank glyph.
But, in the second encoding, it doesn't.

Modifying it so that separators are set to a blank glyph in both encodings fixes
the problem. Fileout is attached.

Cheers,
Andy