The OLPC laptop in a Nigerian classroom

Michael Davies mykdavies+squeak at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 22:55:33 UTC 2007

On 11/04/07, Giovanni Corriga <giovanni at corriga.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> while surfing the web I stumbled upon this picture that I'd like to
> share with you:
>
> http://news.com.com/2300-1041_3-6175025-4.html?tag=ne.gall.pg
>
> Kudos to all the OLPC hackers, thinkers and revolutionaries.
>
>         Giovanni

What a great image! The photos in that set do a great job of showing
the human side of the children who will be using these machines, and
the communities in which they live - well done cnet!

If you're interested in seeing what these kids are experiencing you
can download a live-cd from RedHat:
http://olpc.download.redhat.com/olpc/streams/sdk/build1/livecd/
It's got some rough edges when running on the wrong hardware, but it's
still a good introduction.

The OLPC community have focussed attention on two ideas: they're
getting people to focus again on the idea that computers can be
devices to help children learn; and they are also challenging the MHz
treadmill,  we've got to the point where commodity hardware can is
'good enough'.

It's great to see these ideas coming to fruition, especially with
Squeak in the mix!

Michael