Unix VM crash on MacOSX

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Apr 13 06:06:27 UTC 2007

Craig Latta wrote:
> Hi Andreas--
>
>> From the way you describe it, it sounds like a GCC problem. Have you
>> tried compiling with -O0 to see if this works?
>
>      Aha, that works. Thanks! I'd love to hear details about why
> optimization messes things up in this situation (I haven't been paying
> attention to that issue so far).

I can't say what exactly the problem is but since the VM uses generated
code it often utilizes patterns that nobody would ever use in
hand-written code. At times, this exposes edge-cases in the optimizer
(global CSE is a good candidate) and it's neither the first nor the last
time we've seen such effects (Ian has reported various bugs to the GCC
people). I would also expect that the PPC backend has seen much less
attention recently ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas