HV2 revival

Avi Bryant avi at dabbledb.com
Sat Apr 14 23:33:37 UTC 2007

On 4/14/07, Giovanni Corriga <giovanni at corriga.net> wrote:

> I looked at it. From what I saw it looks like the callbacks part is so
> intertwined with the rest of Seaside that adapting it to HV2 would take
> almost the same time as rebuilding it from scratch. But I'm using the
> Seaside Canvas system as a reference for my Canvas/Painter system.

That surprises me - the Canvas hierarchy looks like this:

WACanvas
   WAHtmlCanvas
      WARenderCanvas

WACanvas knows nothing about HTML (and we have some private subclasses
for other XML dialects).  WAHtmlCanvas knows about HTML but nothing
about callbacks (we use it for generating static/RESTful HTML pages).
Only WARenderCanvas should be at all intertwined with the rest of the
framework.

However, if you end up with a cleaner system, I'd love to take a look
at it, maybe we can go the other way and adopt it into Seaside.

Cheers,
Avi