Packaging VMMaker (was Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 107)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Apr 16 17:19:37 UTC 2007

On 16-Apr-07, at 10:01 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2007, at 18:52 , Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>
>> El 4/16/07 12:52 PM, "Tim Johnson" <trilobyte at hoe.nu> escribió:
>>>
>>> It is unclear from the message whether clicking "Proceed" and then
>>> installing KlattXXX manually will resolve the dependencies.  Will
>>> it?
>>> Should that be made more clear?  Or should KlattXXX be added as a
>>> dependency of VMMaker so the error message doesn't appear at
>>> all?  Beats
>>> me -- I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm just brainstorming.
>>
>> All Klatt classes was in Speech package, so you need load Speech
>> first for
>> no complaints or contact VMMaker  owner for a new version what
>> don't need
>> Klatt (wonder me why VMMaker need this ).

To be picky/precise about this, VMMaker doesn't need Klatt installed
UNLESS you are actually building the Klatt plugin. In general I guess
we have to draw the line somewhere in our attempts to make everything
happen magically and I stopped before working out a way of checking
every dependency for each individual plugin.

> Because some constants must be shared between the image and the
> plugin.

Exactly. The Balloon3D stuff was one example that caused much
confusion some time ago.

> I suggested splitting up VMMaker into multiple packages before.
> However, in extreme, we would have one package per plugin, which
> would be cumbersome. No conclusion has been reached on this, so the
> status quo that VMMaker basically needs a Full Image remains.

OK; we could break up VMMaker into many packages and try to make
dependencies between them all. I guarantee that we would then get
constant complaints about how complicated it is to load.

Although VMMaker usually gets included in a 'Full' image I would in
general recommend starting from a basic image and loading the latest
version of VMMaker; it's what I do and it's then only process I can
possibly make time to evaluate. Any other way of doing things is at
your own risk.

tim
Strange OpCodes: PO: Punch Operator