Date classes

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 17 17:56:11 UTC 2007

> I don't see a professional coding environment, I see 3 or 4 guys
> contributing their spare time writing one of the most kick ass web
> frameworks ever made.  I see check in comments on every commit saying what
> they did.  If there's a lack of comments in the code and on the classes, I
> don't blame them, I blame us, for not jumping in and helping them out.
> Would more comments be nice, sure, but lets not make the only guys doing the
> work feel bad about it.

Kick ass web frameworks for whom, the elite? the premadonnas? What
happened to smalltalk being an environment that is so easy a child could
do it, making things accessible as part of the culture?

I am not trying to make anyone feel bad, it is a cultural thing I was
trying to highlight. We have no problem promoting a Testing/Test First
culture, why not promote the documentation aspect?

If you look in the seaside archives I said it back towards Seaside
version 1.0 and 1.1 back in the days before seaside had any credibility.
If seaside had had some documentation back then perhaps there would not
even be a rails today. Regrettably nothing much has changed, until
recently. (i.e. Lukas knows better :-) )

Zope had a book, and as a result zope runs the intranet at my previous
company. The actual under the hood code in zope was horrendous, but it
has/had a book.

PHP has a book, and what a book it is, I saw a printout of the manual
once, the sheer size of it scared me. But it has a book, and the market
share speaks for itself. Sure documentation is not the only factor but
it is a factor.

Keith