Date classes

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at free.fr
Tue Apr 17 12:42:01 UTC 2007

After thinking a lot of the improving of squeak I have the impression
that this would have been much better to have
external packages that people use and enhance instead of having
Chronology inside. Chronology could have also been such external
package. This way the kernel of squeak could have been just what is
needed to manage the internal of the system.
This way we get something small and specific and clients can use
packages that fits their specific needs.
Now that Chronology is in squeak it is important to fix it if there
are problems and inconsistencies.
The best is to submit fixes with tests.

>> I have looked at Cronos but it is really huge, and the classes
>> that come with the image are already very close.  I will have to
>> look at Chalten, but what is wrong with a few upgrades to the
>> classes that come with Squeak?
> Absolutely nothing, the squeak classes recently had a fairly
> comprehensive rewrite, and are still essentially a 1.0 release, it
> should be expected that some updates and improvements are desired.
> There is plenty of room for these base classes to evolve. For
> example I would also propose a split in the packaging of these
> classes so there can be an absolute minimum Kernel version for
> KernelImages as well as a fully featured version.
>
> Goran also submitted a number of speed improvements to mantis,
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=4669

If this is good the harvesting team should harvest them.

Stef