Joys of Squeak-dev image, VM Compiling on MacIntel and Spoon remote OtherBrowsing

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Apr 20 04:56:40 UTC 2007

On Apr 19, 2007, at 9:25 PM, Ken G. Brown wrote:

> MacPro OS X 10.4.9
> Xcode 2.4.1
> Squeak-dev-114-2, VMMaker 2.8b6.1, Squeak 3.8.15beta6U.app, and
> version 1657 of svn MacOS VM sources, and Spoon v2a12.
>
> Downloaded http://www.squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ trunk
> version 1657 for MacOS
>
> Ran squeak-dev-beta-114-2.image on Squeak 3.8.15beta6U.app
>
> Loaded VMMaker 3.8b6.1 from dev image Universes.
>
> Generated vm sources by following instructions in
> <http://www.squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/Mac%
> 20OS/vm/Documentation/readme?rev=1657&view=auto>
>
> Fought with Xcode wanting to use MacOSX10.3.9.sdk for ppc which was
> giving an error which was known and documented in the Readme.
> Finally figured out what Xcode wanted so built universal app just
> using 10.4.9 sdk.
>
> Couple issues:
>
> Exupery references remain in sqnamedPrims.h and
> sqPlatformSpecific.h from svn version 1657, I just commented them out.
>
> Notes said:
> Info-NPSqueak__Upgraded_.plist was to be found in the Developer
> directory.
> I could not find it so scammed a info.plist out of John's Squeak
> 3.8.15beta6U.app vm. Not sure what impact this has.

MMm, that has been dropped, let me correct the documentation.

> And much, much diddling about figuring out various things...
>
> Finally got a build.  It's a lot smaller (3.9MB) than John
> McIntosh's Squeak 3.8.15beta6U.app (8.1MB), and it looks like it is
> a PowerPC one but at least it runs. I'll look into the Xcode build
> process some more.

It should be a universal one, it's smaller because you are missing
the plugin bundles, those add the extra 5MB.
Look in the resource folder on a production VM for them. If you're
having fun here with bundling you could ensure we can build all the
plugins
from the source tree, I doubt anyone has ever done that...

===