Packaging VMMaker (was Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 107)

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Fri Apr 20 18:10:26 UTC 2007

tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> writes:
> To be picky/precise about this, VMMaker doesn't need Klatt installed
> UNLESS you are actually building the Klatt plugin. In general I guess
> we have to draw the line somewhere in our attempts to make everything
> happen magically and I stopped before working out a way of checking
> every dependency for each individual plugin.

It sounds like we want another package floating around, something like
"Full VM", which depends on VMMaker plus a plethora of standard
plugins.  VMMaker can then be minimal and not depend on anything but
the most core of packages.

Regarding how finely to divide the plugins, it is helpful to consider
the way the developers are organized, and to mirror that in the
division into packages.  For plugins that get a lot of attention and
maintenance from one particular person, it makes sense to put them in
their own packages.  For plugins that are basically finished and are
seeing very little maintenance, it makes sense to glop them into one
big package of standard plugins.

-Lex