Morphic graphics, Displaying fonts & canvases

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Apr 20 18:58:53 UTC 2007

On 20-Apr-07, at 11:18 AM, J J wrote:

> Related to Ffenestri, doesn't the Squeak VM try to open the normal
> window first and then get told not to or something like that?  How
> hard would it be to have the display part of the code be a class
> that is configurable at start time so that the image could start in
> Ffenestri, some other display or even headless without doing the
> extra work?

When we wrote Ffenestri we changed the system so that the default
window only opens if the forceToScreen (or sometihng like that,
memory fails me right now) is called. The idea is that if you write a
startup script (for example) that never actually does a display then
no window will be created.

In answer to sig's point about Ffenestri still being bitblt focussed
- well, yes I guess it is but that is because the system as a whole
is blit centred. Nothing prevents you from using the Ffenestri calls
to open and manipulate windows without copying a bitmaps to them. If
yo uwant to add a way to get some OS identifier for the window to
pass to Cairo/openGL/whatever then feel free. It's open source, after
all. Don't forget the Cairo interface plugin/classes either; a lot of
work has been done but much remains. You might make much faster
progress by building on what is already there.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Cave ne ante ullas catapultas ambules = If I
were you, I wouldn't walk in front of any catapults.