what is the status of the font rendering

Andrew Tween amtween at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 21 23:44:04 UTC 2007

Hi sig,

----- Original Message -----
From: "sig" <siguctua at gmail.com>
To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers list"
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2007 5:24 PM
Subject: Re: what is the status of the font rendering

> I think it would be better to "hardcode" a small window for
> configuring font paths to let user specify them.. And keep paths list
> in class var and don't care about guessing.  ;)

Sure.

But better still is to not have to guess, and to not require the user to
configure anything.

Download Sophie - run it - your fonts are immediately available, with nice menus
for selecting them.
That seems to me to be the best approach.

If an experienced user wants something more sophisticated, then the source is
open and they can modify it to do whatever they wish. But for a newbie, it
should "just work".

One problem with storing paths in a class var is what happens when a user saves
their image and gives it to someone who is using a different OS, with a
different set of fonts, in different locations. Do they then have to
re-configure, or revert to defaults, before the fonts can be found?

Cheers,
Andy