what is the status of the font rendering

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Apr 22 11:55:27 UTC 2007

On Apr 22, 2007, at 11:37 , Andrew Tween wrote:

> It is better to use FFI to get the known font paths from the OS.

Even better would be to have a plugin answer that platform-specific
font search path. I'd love to see freetype rendering go into the
default VM, but I do not want to depend on FFI for something so basic.

There has been talk about such a "system queries" plugin, it should
provide access to other directories, too (like, where should
preferences be stored, or pictures, etc.).

Also, there is the HostFont plugin, which has not been ported to
other platforms than Windows. Maybe it should be extended with a
primitive to ask for font folders.

> I don't know if it is possible to get the paths from a Linux OS
> using FFI, hence
> the hardcoded paths.

There is no FFI way because there is no OS-wide standard. Well, the
closest to a standard is probably fontconfig, maybe that could be
used with FFI or a proper plugin.

- Bert -