[Newbies] string search

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Apr 24 09:46:26 UTC 2007

On Apr 24, 2007, at 11:30 , subbukk wrote:

> On Tuesday 24 April 2007 1:00 pm, goran at krampe.se wrote:
>> subbukk <subbukk at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> How do I do string searches in Squeak environment? For example, how
>>> do I search which method refers to 'My Squeak'?
>>
>> Select "My Squeak" with mouse and press alt-shift-e.
> This gives me method names containing the string. I am looking for
> method
> bodies, descriptions or literals which contain this string. I was
> trying
> to search out class methods based on text in filenames,
> descriptions or
> balloon help.

Actually, this searches only string literals, so it should fill your
need perfectly (I use it quite a lot to discover where in the system
something is implemented). However, there was a bug (I think in some
3.8 versions) that not only matched strings but symbols, too, which
is not what you want.

Also note that Ctrl-e searches case-insensitively.

> Currently, I convert *.sources file to unix format (\n instead of
> \r. I am
> on Linux),use an editor to dig out strings and work backwards from it.
> There must be an easier way.

In the shifted context menu there is "method source with it" which
actually searches in the sources file - very slow, because it does
not just go through the sources/changes file, but loads each method
source separately.

> I should have been clearer in my request. Apologies .. Subbu

Note you won't find a reference to "My Squeak" in the image because
that just happens to be the name of the user directory on your disk.

- Bert -