[ANN] FreeType Plus release

Andrew Tween amtween at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 28 22:31:01 UTC 2007

This is an official announcement that the FreeType Plus packages are now
released.

You can download from SqueakMap, or via the Package Universe within a developer
Squeak (squeak-dev) image.

I will be documenting various aspects of this on the wiki; at present you can
view some screenshots, and read some preliminary descriptions, at
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5984

It will work, to varying degrees, on Windows (98, 2000, XP, & Vista); Linux
(OpenSUSE, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc.); and Mac OS X.

It requires an FT2Plugin, which is shipped with the Mac VM, and is available for
Windows/Linux via the FreeType Plus (plugins installer) package.

To enable sub-pixel anti-aliasing, the optional, and separate, FreeType Plus
(sub-pixel anti-aliasing) package must be installed.
This requires a modified BitBltPlugin. This is currently available for
Windows/Linux only, and is installed via the FreeType Plus (plugins installer)
package. If anybody wishes to attempt compile it for Macs, then please let me
know.

Rather than try to describe everything, and anticipate every question in
advance, I would rather wait to see how people get on with installing/using it,
and then update and improve the documentation accordingly. So, if you have
problems, then please let me know; and if you have success then that would be
nice to hear about too :)

Cheers,
Andy