[ANN] Kernel Image - independent MinimalMorphic and better granularity

Pavel Krivanek squeak1 at continentalbrno.cz
Sun Apr 29 14:21:17 UTC 2007

> On 28 avr. 07, at 15:17, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have prepared the new version of the KernelImage. The most important
> > new is the independence of the MinimalMorphic package. That means that
> > MinimalMorphic package has no overrides now and we are be able to
> > modify and publish Kernel and basic primitive packages directly from
> > the MinimalMorphic image!
> >
> > I have to say that some of the secessary refactorings are very ugly
> > now but the main goal was to make the MinimalMorphic independent soon
> > and enable to develop the kernel refactorings in more comfortable way.
>

> Can you give some example of these ugly refactorings??

In some cases I created more general class that contains "kernel"
implementation. The Morphic then simply adds its override (now in the
class hierarchy meaning) to the original class. Such example is the
BasicChangeSet class.

Then I created methods like specificOperation1: in the Object
interface. When the Kernel calls it, it does nothing. Morphic adds its
implementation of this general method. It's about in 24 cases.

I hope that we will be able to replace it with better and more general
refactorings soon.

Cheers,
-- Pavel